Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Leader of the Council delegated authority to the Cabinet to make the following decisions:
School Place Planning
1. Note the update of mainstream school pupil projections undertaken and submitted to the Department for Education (DfE) in July 2019 – available places vs school capacity (SCAP) 2019 forecasts – at appendix 1 of the report.
2. Note the temporary expansion of Smitham Primary by one form of entry from September 2019.
3. Approve the proposed three year school place supply strategy – paras. 3.24-3.26 and appendix 6 of the report.
4. Note delegated decision (ref no. 0619LR) taken by the Executive Director of Children, Families and Education, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Children Young People and Learning to close St Andrew’s CofE High School from August 2020 – at appendices 2 and 3 of the report.
5. Alternative Provision / Pupil Referral Unit (PRU)
5.1Note the decision of East Surrey College not to enter into a lease with Croydon Council for the land adjacent to the Cotelands site.
5.2Note that refurbishment of the existing Cotelands PRU building at John Ruskin College has been completed.
Special Educational Needs and Disability
6. Note and agree the updated Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) supply strategy (Table 1 of the report) for the next 3 academic years – 2019/20 to 2021/22. The SEND School Place Plan is informed by the Council’s Dedicated Schools Grant Recovery Plan and 0-25 SEND Strategy.
7. Note that the ESFA commissioned Croydon to lead on the delivery of the new special free school - Addington Valley Academy (Timebridge site) which is proposed to be fully funded by the ESFA at a budget of £13.509m.
8. Note the update on the partnership with Croydon Further Education (FE) college to establish new local post 16 places in an SEN Centre of Excellence.
9. Note the continued planned expansion of secondary autism Enhanced Learning provision at Oasis Arena.
10.Note the proposed feasibility option regarding Red Gates; St Giles and Priory Special Schools.
11 Note the number of children and young people who received their first or top three preference school.
12 Note the updated Education Capital Programme spend – at appendix 4 of the report.
School Maintenance and Compliance
13 Note the updated on the Schools’ Maintenance Plan for 2019/20 that was agreed in January 2019 - Appendix 5 and delegate authority to the Executive Director, Children, Families and Education to vary the plan to reflect actual prices and new urgent issues that may arise, including authorising spend against the allowance for emergency and reactive works. The Executive Director, Children, Families and Education shall report back to members in respect of any exercise of such authority.
14 Note update on fire safety works in Croydon community schools.
Report author: Robert Henderson
Publication date: 27/09/2019
Date of decision: 19/09/2019
Decided at meeting: 19/09/2019 - Cabinet