Agenda and draft minutes

Licensing Sub-Committee
Tuesday, 6th October, 2020 10.30 am

Venue: This meeting is being held remotely; to view the meeting, please click here.

Contact: Thomas Downs
020 8726 6000 x86166  Email: thomas.downs@croydon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

84/20

Appointment of Chair

To appoint a Chair for the duration of the meeting.

Minutes:

Councillor Nina Degrads nominated Councillor Callton Young as Chair.

Councillor Margaret Bird seconded the motion.

 

The Sub-Committee RESOLVED to appoint Councillor Young as Chair for the duration of the meeting of the Sub-Committee.

 

85/20

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Ward Councillor Shafi Khan.

86/20

Disclosure of Interests

In accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct and the statutory provisions of the Localism Act, Members and co-opted Members of the Council are reminded that it is a requirement to register disclosable pecuniary interests (DPIs) and gifts and hospitality to the value of which exceeds £50 or multiple gifts and/or instances of hospitality with a cumulative value of £50 or more when received from a single donor within a rolling twelve month period. In addition, Members and co-opted Members are reminded that unless their disclosable pecuniary interest is registered on the register of interests or is the subject of a pending notification to the Monitoring Officer, they are required to disclose those disclosable pecuniary interests at the meeting. This should be done by completing the Disclosure of Interest form and handing it to the Democratic Services representative at the start of the meeting. The Chair will then invite Members to make their disclosure orally at the commencement of Agenda item 3. Completed disclosure forms will be provided to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion on the Register of Members’ Interests.

 

Minutes:

There were none.

 

87/20

Urgent Business (if any)

To receive notice of any business not on the agenda which in the opinion of the Chair, by reason of special circumstances, be considered as a matter of urgency.

 

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

 

88/20

Licensing Act 2003 (Hearings) Regulations 2005 Procedures for Licensing Sub-Committee Hearings pdf icon PDF 138 KB

This Report provides background to the request that the Chair of the Licensing Sub-Committee exercise delegated authority set out in Annex 1 to Part 5F of the Constitution to agree a change to the current Licensing Sub-Committee procedure to take account of remote hearings.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Head of Public Protection and Licensing introduced and summarised the report, which contained changes to the protocol for Licensing Sub-Committees in of light of the Coronavirus Act 2020. It was noted that this report had been agreed at the Licensing Committee on 30 September 2020.

 

The Chair AGREED the recommendations contained in the report.

89/20

Licensing Act 2003 - Application for a Premises Licence - 1336 London Road, Norbury, SW16 4DG pdf icon PDF 229 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Licensing Sub-Committee considered the Application for a Premises Licence at 1336 London Road, Norbury, SW16 4DG and the representations received as contained in the report of the Executive Director ‘Place’.

 

The Sub-Committee considered the amendments made by the Applicant to their application following discussions with the Council’s Safety Team as detailed within the report and noted the prior discussions which the applicant had with the police as detailed before the Sub-Committee. The Sub-Committee also considered the verbal representations made by the Applicant and their representative and a Ward Councillor at the hearing.

 

The Sub-Committee, having reference to the licensing objectives under the Licensing Act 2003 and the Council Licensing Policy the Sub-Committee have RESOLVED to GRANT the application on the basis that they were satisfied that it would support the Licensing Objectives to do so.

 

The Sub-Committee took particular note of the Applicant’s considered approach to the concerns that had been raised by the Ward Councillors in their written representations, as well as in the verbal representations at the hearing and the steps proposed to address these concerns, including in relation to ensuring that customers behave considerately towards neighbours when leaving or using smoking areas, that the area outside the premises is kept clean and tidy, but also in relation to the approach to minimising noise disturbance from the premises. The Sub-Committee was mindful of the fact that premises license holders are not responsible for the behaviour of patrons once they are beyond the management and control of the premises, however the Sub-Committee welcomed the enthusiasm of the Applicant and the clear commitment to the community including in relation to the manner in which the business would be operated with service of alcohol being ancillary to the service of food and off sales of alcohol being as part of a delivery of a meal/s. The Sub-Committee also welcomed the conditions proposed by the Applicant to support the Licensing Objectives which will be appended to the Application as granted.

90/20

Exclusion of the Press and Public

The following motion is to be moved and seconded where it is proposed to exclude the press and public from the remainder of a meeting:

 

“That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information falling within those paragraphs indicated in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended.”

 

Minutes:

This was not required.