Venue: This meeting is being held remotely; to view the meeting, please click here.
Contact: Anoushka Clayton-Walshe
020 8726 6000 x62537 Email: Anoushka.Clayton-Walshe@croydon.gov.uk
Appointment of Chair
To appoint a Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Councillor Margaret Bird nominated Councillor Robert Canning as Chair and Councillor Pat Clouder seconded the motion.
The Sub-Committee RESOLVED to appoint Councillor Robert Canning as Chair for the duration of the meeting of the Sub-Committee.
Disclosure of Interests
In accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct and the statutory provisions of the Localism Act, Members and co-opted Members of the Council are reminded that it is a requirement to register disclosable pecuniary interests (DPIs) and gifts and hospitality to the value of which exceeds £50 or multiple gifts and/or instances of hospitality with a cumulative value of £50 or more when received from a single donor within a rolling twelve month period. In addition, Members and co-opted Members are reminded that unless their disclosable pecuniary interest is registered on the register of interests or is the subject of a pending notification to the Monitoring Officer, they are required to disclose those disclosable pecuniary interests at the meeting. This should be done by completing the Disclosure of Interest form and handing it to the Democratic Services representative at the start of the meeting. The Chair will then invite Members to make their disclosure orally at the commencement of Agenda item 3. Completed disclosure forms will be provided to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion on the Register of Members’ Interests.
There were none.
Urgent Business (if any)
To receive notice of any business not on the agenda which in the opinion of the Chair, by reason of special circumstances, be considered as a matter of urgency.
There were no items of urgent business.
The Sub-Committee is asked to determine whether to grant the application for a premises licence.
The Licensing Sub-Committee considered the application for a Premises Licence at Merryn, The South Border, Purley, CR8 3LD contained in the report of the Executive Director ‘Place’ and circulated prior to the meeting.
After considering the additional information received along with hearing from the Applicant and Other Persons at the meeting, the Sub-Committee having reference to the licensing objectives under the Licensing Act 2003 (“the Act”), the statutory guidance issued under S.182 of the Act and the Council’s Statement of Licensing Policy, RESOLVED to GRANT the premises licence application.
The application has been granted with the following proposed, amended and additional conditions, as outlined below, given that the Sub-Committee were satisfied that the Licensing Objectives would not be undermined;
i) Conditions, as agreed/proposed by the applicant that are set-out within the report and additional information received:
1. Monica Costa, Marcello Moscarello and Cock & Tails Ltd will operate a Challenge 25 and age-restricted sales policy.
2. Challenge 25 logos shall be prominently displayed in all advertising material associated with this premises, including any websites.
3. When placing orders for alcohol online, customers shall be reminded to provide acceptable ID - a Photo Driving Licence, Passport or PASS Card in order to take delivery of their purchase.
4. Products will be delivered by a third-party courier who will employ the Challenge 25 scheme when alcohol deliveries are made, accepting only a Photo Driving Licence, Passport or PASS Card as ID.
5. Failure to provide proof of age will result in any alcohol not being delivered to the customer and returned to the premises.
6. Records of all such refusals of delivery of alcohol, or declined sales, shall be maintained on the premises and made available to the police and local authority officers upon reasonable request.
7. All product deliveries containing alcohol will be marked with a Challenge 25 (or similar) sticker by premises staff and the driver reminded that the customers photo ID (passport, photo driving licence or PASS proof of age card) must be requested and checked prior to fulfilling the delivery.
8. No member of the public is permitted on the premises at any time for the purpose of conducting business.
9. All sales will take place online, with the premises being used for storage and distribution only.
10.There will be no stock delivery to the premises from outside sources.
11.Collection of finished stock from the premises will take place no more than once a day, usually mid-afternoon.
ii) Condition 8 is amended by the Sub-Committee to read;
‘No in-person sales will be made and no members of the public shall be permitted to enter the premises to purchase alcohol. All purchases will be by delivery only.’
iii) Additional condition, as suggested by the applicant at the hearing to read;
‘The licensable activity, relating to sale and supply of alcohol off the premises, ... view the full minutes text for item 9/21
Exclusion of the Press and Public
The following motion is to be moved and seconded where it is proposed to exclude the press and public from the remainder of a meeting:
“That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information falling within those paragraphs indicated in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended.”
This item was not required.