Agenda and minutes

Licensing Sub-Committee - Tuesday, 28th September, 2021 10.00 am

Venue: This meeting will be held remotely. View directions

Contact: Tariq Aniemeka-Bailey  Email:

No. Item


Appointment of Chair

To appoint a Chair for the duration of the meeting.


Councillor Karen Jewitt nominated Councillor Robert Caning as Chair and Councillor Margaret Bird seconded the motion.


The Sub-Committee RESOLVED to appoint Councillor Robert Canning as

Chair for the duration of the meeting of the Sub-Committee.



Disclosure of Interests

In accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct and the statutory provisions of the Localism Act, Members and co-opted Members of the Council are reminded that it is a requirement to register disclosable pecuniary interests (DPIs) and gifts and hospitality to the value of which exceeds £50 or multiple gifts and/or instances of hospitality with a cumulative value of £50 or more when received from a single donor within a rolling twelve month period. In addition, Members and co-opted Members are reminded that unless their disclosable pecuniary interest is registered on the register of interests or is the subject of a pending notification to the Monitoring Officer, they are required to disclose those disclosable pecuniary interests at the meeting. This should be done by completing the Disclosure of Interest form and handing it to the Democratic Services representative at the start of the meeting. The Chair will then invite Members to make their disclosure orally at the commencement of Agenda item 3. Completed disclosure forms will be provided to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion on the Register of Members’ Interests.



There were none.



Urgent Business (if any)

To receive notice of any business not on the agenda which in the opinion of the Chair, by reason of special circumstances, be considered as a matter of urgency.



There were no items of urgent business.



LICENSING ACT 2003 - Temporary Event Notice subject to Pollution Team (EH) Objection Notice pdf icon PDF 229 KB

The purpose of this report is to advise the Sub-Committee that a temporary event notice has been given to the licensing authority under the Licensing Act 2003 (“the Act”). This temporary event notice is the subject of an objection notice from the Council’s Pollution Team, therefore a hearing is required.

Additional documents:


The Sub-Committee also considered the verbal representations made at the virtual hearing by the Senior Pollution Enforcement Officer, Eddie Adjei and Fouleymata Seaka’s representative Mr Sutherland.


Reasons for the Sub-Committee’s decision:


The Sub-Committee took into account the following reassurances made on behalf of the Fouleymata Seaka (contained in 2 emails dated 27th and 28th September):

·       At this event the recorded music will be played as a ‘silent disco’ via a head phone system from 23:00 until the end.

·       The event it is a private party by invitation only.

·       Only guests who have been invited will be able to gain entry.

·       At this event the recorded music will be played as a ‘silent disco’ via a head phone system from 23:00 until the end.

·       The party will be in the basement only.

·       Access to the basement will be through the premises only.

·       No customers are allowed in the garden after 11pm.

·       The maximum number of guests has been revised to 70.

·       2 SIA security will be employed at the premises and they will remain until all guests have left at the end of the evening.

·       The owner and notice giver will be present at the premises for the event.

·       At regular intervals during the evening the owner will review the sound levels outside and if any music can be heard will take steps to reduce the sound level. A noise limiter will be installed and set prior to the event.

·       The majority of guests will be there by midnight and all guests will be at the premises before 1am.

·       At 2am the music sound levels will be gradually reduced and the lighting raised.

·       The last drinks orders will be 2:15am

·       By 2:30am the music will be switched off and lights fully on.

·       At the end of the evening the DJ will ask people to leave without causing any disturbance or nuisance to neighbours. 

·       Guests will be encouraged to leave quickly and quietly.

·       Those who have ordered uber will wait inside until their vehicle arrives.

·       People leaving for their car will be encouraged to leave in small groups together.

·       The security will be situated outside to encourage them to leave quickly and quietly and keep noise down to a minimum.

·       The owner and staff will be reminding customers to leave quietly to respect the needs of the neighbours.

·       Signage reminding customers to respect the neighbouring residents is also on display at the exit.


It was confirmed during the hearing by Mr Sutherland (FouleymataSeaka’s Representative) that all the existing conditions on the Premises License (at Annex 1 and 2) would apply to this TEN.


The Pollution Team were of the view that the above information and assurances (if followed) would prevent a public nuisance.


On the basis of the assurances given above and that all the existing conditions on the Premises Licence (at Annex 1 and 2) apply to this TEN the Sub-Committee have decided that the Licensing Objectives can be met and licensable activities referred to in the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 40/21


Exclusion of the Press and Public

The following motion is to be moved and seconded where it is proposed to exclude the press and public from the remainder of a meeting:


“That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information falling within those paragraphs indicated in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended.”



This item was not required.