Agenda and minutes

Cycle Forum
Tuesday, 27th November, 2018 6.00 pm

Venue: F5, Town Hall, Katharine Street, Croydon CR0 1NX. View directions

Contact: Kieran Pantry-Melsom
02087266000 x63922  Email: kieran.pantry-melsom@croydon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

47/18

Urgent Business (if any)

To receive notice of any business not on the agenda which in the opinion of the Chair, by reason of special circumstances, be considered as a matter of urgency.

 

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

48/18

Disclosure of Interests

In accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct and the statutory provisions of the Localism Act, Members and co-opted Members of the Council are reminded that it is a requirement to register disclosable pecuniary interests (DPIs) and gifts and hospitality to the value of which exceeds £50 or multiple gifts and/or instances of hospitality with a cumulative value of £50 or more when received from a single donor within a rolling twelve month period. In addition, Members and co-opted Members are reminded that unless their disclosable pecuniary interest is registered on the register of interests or is the subject of a pending notification to the Monitoring Officer, they are required to disclose those disclosable pecuniary interests at the meeting. This should be done by completing the Disclosure of Interest form and handing it to the Democratic Services representative at the start of the meeting. The Chair will then invite Members to make their disclosure orally at the commencement of Agenda item 3. Completed disclosure forms will be provided to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion on the Register of Members’ Interests.

 

Minutes:

There were none.

 

49/18

Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 94 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 11 September 2018 as an accurate record.

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 11 September 2018 were agreed as an accurate record.

 

44/18 – It was agreed that TfL would be invited to discuss their consultation on Five Ways at the next Cycle Forum meeting (19 March 2019).

50/18

Action Plan pdf icon PDF 47 KB

Response to action points taken from the previous meeting.  

Minutes:

The Head of Strategic Transport responded to questions regarding the action points contained in the table.

 

Members decided to continue discussion of the Cycle Forum’s terms of reference after the Mayor had signed the Third Local Implementation Plan (LIP3) in Spring 2019.

 

51/18

Cycling Strategy/Central Croydon Cycle Tour

Minutes:

The Head of Transport presented a map of the Centre of Croydon and handouts were provided for members of the forum.

 

In the presentation, it was pointed out that proposals were being made for a range of different roads situated in Central Croydon to improve cyclist routes.

 

Members felt that the Cycle Tour that took place in October 2018 was useful and the forum would benefit arranging more as Central Croydon developed. There were also suggestions to tour areas outside of Central Croydon such as Norbury Avenue and to examine how the Borough of Enfield’s mini Holland tour was managed in comparison to Croydon’s Cycle Tour.

 

During discussions about the Cycling Strategy it was said that Healthy School Neighbourhoods was a key element to progressing it as well as engaging residents to develop a safe route approach. Other areas of focus included accessibility for cyclists to travel on Surrey Street and closing the lower end of Katharine Street.

 

52/18

Liveable Neighbourhoods Bid

To be presented by Ben Kennedy (Transport Strategy Manager).

Minutes:

The Head of Transport explained the key ideas that were put forward under the ‘Reconnecting Old Town’ proposal of the Liveable Neighbourhoods Bid. The document outlining the proposals was circulated to members of the forum.

 

This included reducing the speed limits on Roman Way, Old Town, Mitcham Road and on the Croydon Flyover. In addition to this members were informed that construction vehicles would be stacked on Roman Way flyover and a service level crossing was being proposed to make it safe for young people crossing the flyover to attend schools.

 

Members of the forum were encouraged to submit letters of support so they could be included in the bid once it was sent to TfL.

 

53/18

Local Implementation Plan 3 (LIP3) Update

To be presented by Ben Kennedy (Transport Strategy Manager)

Minutes:

The Head of Transport stated that the LIP3 report was presented to Cabinet in October 2018, which outlined the growth zone financing mechanism as and included the plan’s expenditure for the next three years. The draft LIP objectives were listed in Section 4.6 of the report and Section 4.9 contained the proposed projects and programmes associated with Healthy Schools Neighbourhoods.

 

Members were informed of the following actions that would be made to progress the LIP3:

 

·         Public consultation of LIP3 (January 2019)

·         Final draft will be sent for the Mayor of London’s approval

(February 2019)

 

It was emphasised that the objectives that the LIP had to fulfill were set out by the Mayor’s Transport Strategy (MTS). These included the Vision Zero project, promoting healthy streets and adapting to an aging population and the growth of new homes/jobs.

 

It was said that electric cars were being promoted to encourage healthy streets. In response to questions regarding charging points for electric cars, the officer stated that regular points could supply 4-7 kilowatts and that rapid points with a higher wattage would be placed in busier areas. Members of the forum also discussed how the construction and placement of charging points would impact pedestrian space.

 

The officer stated that this as well as the different areas they could be implemented was carefully considered and the best approach was to place electric columns to the rear of the footway or use a satellite pillar which were smaller. A minimum width would be added to reduce interference of public space.

 

Furthermore it was said that the Council was legally required to place earthing mats when installing charging points. When utilising electric columns, residents could purchase their own cable to use when necessary. 

Members of the forum were informed that an order of 25 electric columns would be made and would be tested in due course.

 

 

54/18

'Try Before You Bike' Scheme

To be presented by Isabelle Clement (Wheels for Wellbeing)

Minutes:

Members of the forum were informed about the ‘Try Before You Bike Scheme’ which provided non-standard cycles to the public. Wheels for Wellbeing’s partnered with Lambeth Council in order to further this scheme and was also being adopted by other local authorities. 

 

It was said that the scheme helped to improve the affordability of bicycles for people by enabling them to pay a monthly fee to borrow a bike. The people who were interested in owning a bike could choose to continue paying installments until the full cost was covered. The bikes available included standard, non-standard, fold up and e-bicycles along with a number of different frames. 

 

In response to questions it was said that Peddle My Wheels was the company providing the bicycles to Lambeth Council and there was great potential for the scheme to succeed in the borough of Croydon as well. The Head of Transport stated that introducing a scheme like this was a great idea for Croydon residents but the council needed to have the capacity and the necessary resources to implement it.

 

Members also heard that bike hangars were being constructed on residential estates in Croydon. The first one would be introduced in January 2019. A Hangar scheme was also being developed to improve the security of cycles. This would help reduce the number of bikes on the street and theft by encouraging people to lock their bicycles in hangars.

 

55/18

Update from Cycling Groups

Minutes:

There were none.

56/18

Any Other Business

Minutes:

Members of the forum heard that local authorities such as Waltham Forest Council responded to drivers parking on pavements and cycle lanes by taking away their parking permits. It was expressed that Croydon Council could benefit from adopting this method.

 

There was also discussion about widening the length of road bridges to improve the safety of cyclists when travelling.

 

Members of the forum were also invited to visit a Wheels for Wellbeing session at Croydon Arena in the New Year. It was considered as a good idea and members of the forum agreed to attend.

 

57/18

Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 19 March 2019.

Minutes:

Tuesday 19 March 2019 at 6pm.

58/18

Exclusion of the Press and Public

The following motion is to be moved and seconded where it is proposed to exclude the press and public from the remainder of a meeting:

 

“That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information falling within those paragraphs indicated in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended.”

 

Minutes:

This was not required.