Agenda and minutes

Cycle Forum
Tuesday, 19th March, 2019 6.00 pm

Venue: Town Hall

Contact: Kieran Pantry-Melsom
02087266000 x63922  Email: kieran.pantry-melsom@croydon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1/19

Urgent Business (if any)

To receive notice of any business not on the agenda which in the opinion of the Chair, by reason of special circumstances, be considered as a matter of urgency.

 

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

2/19

Disclosure of Interests

In accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct and the statutory provisions of the Localism Act, Members and co-opted Members of the Council are reminded that it is a requirement to register disclosable pecuniary interests (DPIs) and gifts and hospitality to the value of which exceeds £50 or multiple gifts and/or instances of hospitality with a cumulative value of £50 or more when received from a single donor within a rolling twelve month period. In addition, Members and co-opted Members are reminded that unless their disclosable pecuniary interest is registered on the register of interests or is the subject of a pending notification to the Monitoring Officer, they are required to disclose those disclosable pecuniary interests at the meeting. This should be done by completing the Disclosure of Interest form and handing it to the Democratic Services representative at the start of the meeting. The Chair will then invite Members to make their disclosure orally at the commencement of Agenda item 3. Completed disclosure forms will be provided to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion on the Register of Members’ Interests.

 

Minutes:

There were none.

 

3/19

Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 74 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 27 November 2018 as an accurate record.

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 19 March 2019 were agreed as an accurate record.

4/19

Action Plan pdf icon PDF 45 KB

Response to the action points recorded at the previous meeting.

Minutes:

The Head of Strategic Transport responded to questions regarding the action points contained in the table. It was said that discussions were still being had regarding the sustainability of dockless bikes in Croydon and who the most suitable operator would be to provide them. Furthermore members were told that it cost £72 per year for a bicycle to be kept in a bike hangar. There were a total of six bike hangars in Croydon.

 

5/19

Cycling Strategy pdf icon PDF 104 KB

To be presented by Tom Sweeney (Programme Manager for Walking and Cycling)

Minutes:

The Programme Manager for Walking and Cycling presented the Croydon Town Centre cycle proposals map to the members of the forum

The proposed routes are identified in Phases 2-4 The Existing Networks (including Phase 1 schemes) was also identified. Proposals included:

 

·         Improving signals at the lower end of College Road

·         Providing segregated cycle lanes adjacent to the proposed tram loop in Dingwall Road

·         A cycle contraflow on Drummond Road (part of a longer term scheme)

·         A cycle contraflow on Bedford Park and Poplar Walk creating full two-way movement for cyclists

 

Proposals in the centre will be subject to appropriate public consultation and coordinated with other construction works in the growth zone.  

6/19

Liveable Neighbourhoods Bid

To be presented by Ian Plowright (Head of Transport)

Minutes:

Members of the forum were happy to hear that the Liveable Neighbourhoods (LN) bid had been accepted by TfL and the Head of Transport thanked the Chair for his letter of support.  Special thanks were given to Ben Kennedy who put the bid together.

 

The Head of Transport showed a presentation which gave a detailed description of what the current issues were in Old Town and what proposals the Council made to resolve them.

 

The key themes highlighted were the objectives for achieving healthy streets, responding to road casualty data and providing a series of proposed interventions in areas within and surrounding Old Town. The LN project will span between 5-7 years and part of the next steps will be to meet with Transport for London and the Croydon Council stakeholders involved in the bid.

 

In response to questions the forum heard that:

 

·         The Council was working on a further cycle route which ran parallel to the A23, its design was being discussed with TfL.

 

·         One-way streets in Old Town were being considered for two-way cycling and designs were ready.

 

·         Improving the existing cycle route to create a 24 hour link through Wandle Park would be done subject to adequate agreement with the local community and successful resolution of lighting and security issues in the park.

 

·         The Council were anticipating Drummond Road to be a new cycle route from south west to the north east of the town centre, linking East Croydon, Epsom Road and Five Ways once the redevelopment of the Whitgift Centre was completed.

7/19

Local Implementation Plan 3 (LIP3) Update

To be presented by Ian Plowright (Head of Transport)

Minutes:

The Head of Transport informed members of the forum that as part of its main strategy, the final version of the LIP3 would be sent to TfL and the Mayor of London subject to it being adopted by Full Council.

8/19

Fiveways Consultation Update pdf icon PDF 4 MB

Presentation from Susanna Davies (Principal Sponsor, Transport for London) and Joe Beavis (Sponsor, Transport for London)

 

Minutes:

The Transport for London (TfL) officers showcased a presentation to forum members and explained their work surrounding the Fiveways Consultation. 

 

The key themes highlighted included the main objectives for completing the project, how the ‘Healthy Streets’ approach would be incorporated and the proposed changes in response to the consultation.

It was stated that a planning application for this project would be submitted to Council in Autumn 2019 and planned construction to take place from 2021-2024.

 

In response to questions about the proposed changes, members of the forum heard that:

 

·         The parking bays being removed on Epsom Road were not residential spaces.

 

·         Using an adjacent signal to guide vehicles onto Epsom Road was considered the best solution to congestion as traffic segregation was not possible.

 

·         Early release points could be found on the A23 on Epsom Road and southbound towards Denning Avenue.

9/19

Update on Cycling Groups

Minutes:

There was none.

10/19

Any Other Business

a)    Road Maintenance Issues

 

b)    Enforcing the 20mph speed limit

 

c)    Cycle park diversion signs (Katherine Street/Park Street)

 

d)    Changes to Tram loop and its impact on Town Centre cycle routes

 

e)    Plans to bridge the final barrier for two-way cycling between the High Street and North End

 

f)     Council Policy for removing abandoned bicycles

Minutes:

 

a)         Road Maintenance Issues

 

Members of the forum were informed that the Council can inspect and fill potholes once they are reported by residents. This can be done by contacting the Highways Team highwaysmaintenance@croydon.gov.uk or via the ‘Don’t Mess with Croydon’ App.

 

It was said that the potholes on Shirley Road which had already been reported would be investigated by the Council.

 

b)        Enforcing the 20mph speed limit

 

Members of the forum were informed that speed has to be enforced by the police, however the Council was looking to obtain enforcement powers from local authorities.

 

c)         Cycle park diversion signs (Katherine Street/Park Street)

 

Members of the forum were informed that the cycle park diversion signs on Katherine Street/Park Street were up by mistake and would be taken down. 

 

d)        Changes to Tram loop and its impact on Town Centre cycle routes

 

This topic had been discussed by the forum when they were briefed on the Cycling Strategy (page 2). It was said that segregated cycle lanes had been designed as part of the loop and was adjacent to the proposed tram loop in Dingwall Road.

 

e)         Plans to bridge the final barrier for two-way cycling between the High Street and North End

 

It was reiterated that plans to complete the two-way cycling were still in progress and once it was complete, more detail could be provided to the forum.

 

f)          Council Policy for removing abandoned bicycles

 

Members of the forum were informed that the abandoned bicycle located on Tanworth Road would be removed before the next Cycle Forum meeting (June 2019).

 

Other topics of discussion included:

 

·         Invitation to environmental walk to identify any potential issues to public safety from new developments in the Town Centre. This would take place on 27th March, 10.30am to 12pm.

 

·         Public Transport - Buses will be temporarily travelling through Croydon High Street between 13th - 22nd April.

 

·         Dockless Bikes - An update would be provided to the forum following discussions that was had with ebike providers.

 

·         Cycling to schools - A report would be provided showing cycling level of service for schools.

11/19

Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 4th June 2019.

Minutes:

Tuesday 4 June 2019.

12/19

Exclusion of the Press and Public

The following motion is to be moved and seconded where it is proposed to exclude the press and public from the remainder of a meeting:

 

“That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information falling within those paragraphs indicated in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended.”

 

Minutes:

This was not required.