Agenda and minutes

Cycle Forum - Tuesday, 4th June, 2019 6.00 pm

Venue: F10, Town Hall, Katharine Street, Croydon CR0 1NX. View directions

Contact: Kieran Pantry-Melsom
02087266000 x63922  Email:

No. Item


Appointment of Chair and Vice-Chair

To appoint a Chair and Vice-Chair for the Cycle Forum for the 2019/20 Municipal Year.



Councillor Muhammad Ali nominated Councillor Clive Fraser.

Councillor Simon Brew seconded the motion.


The Cycle Forum RESOLVED to appoint Councillor Clive Fraser as the Chair of the Cycle Forum for the 2019/20 municipal year.


Councillor Clive Fraser nominated Andy Bebington.

Jim Bush seconded this motion.


The Cycle Forum RESOLVED to appoint Andy Bebington as the Vice-Chair of the Cycle Forum for the 2019/20 municipal year.



Urgent Business (if any)

To receive notice of any business not on the agenda which in the opinion of the Chair, by reason of special circumstances, be considered as a matter of urgency.





There were no items of urgent business.


Disclosure of Interests

In accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct and the statutory provisions of the Localism Act, Members and co-opted Members of the Council are reminded that it is a requirement to register disclosable pecuniary interests (DPIs) and gifts and hospitality to the value of which exceeds £50 or multiple gifts and/or instances of hospitality with a cumulative value of £50 or more when received from a single donor within a rolling twelve month period. In addition, Members and co-opted Members are reminded that unless their disclosable pecuniary interest is registered on the register of interests or is the subject of a pending notification to the Monitoring Officer, they are required to disclose those disclosable pecuniary interests at the meeting. This should be done by completing the Disclosure of Interest form and handing it to the Democratic Services representative at the start of the meeting. The Chair will then invite Members to make their disclosure orally at the commencement of Agenda item 3. Completed disclosure forms will be provided to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion on the Register of Members’ Interests.



There were none.



Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 77 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 19 March 2019 as an accurate record.



The minutes of the meeting held on 19 March 2019 were agreed as an accurate record.


Action Plan pdf icon PDF 45 KB

Response to the action points recorded at the previous meeting.


The Head of Strategic Transport responded to questions regarding the action points contained in the table. In relation to the first action point, members were shown a list of roads where other bike hangars were located.


In regards to the second action point, members heard that no design is currently available for the longer term scheme for the two-way cycling on Croydon High Street.


Cycling Strategy

To be presented by Tom Sweeney (Programme Manager for Walking and Cycling)


The Programme Manager for Walking and Cycling updated members of the forum on how the cycling strategy was progressing by presenting the list of projects.  This included the following:


·         Wandle Park, Park Hill Rec. and Lloyd Park – new and improved cycle and pedestrian facilities have been constructed

·         Creating a cycle track across the frontage of the Fairfield Halls / Croydon College on Park Lane to link to College Road is now underway

·         The construction of the contraflow cycle route between Bedford Park and Poplar Walk is being arranged for the summer.  The precise start date is currently being confirmed with network management colleagues.  

·         Implementing a cycle route from Ampere Way to Therapia Lane on the eastern side of the highway is planned for 2020

·         Introduce parallel cycling crossing near the Zebra crossing towards Surrey Street is planned for 2020


The Cycle Strategy identifies barriers to increasing the numbers of people cycling in the borough include safety, availability and topography.  Increased use of e-bikes (including hire bikes) as well as cycle infrastructure has been identified as part of the potential solution. 


Members of the forum NOTED this verbal report.


Cycling to schools

To be presented by Ian Plowright (Head of Transport)


The Head of Transport presented maps to the Cycle Forum, showing the location of schools in Croydon and the level of cycle skills required to cycle on each of the borough’s roads.  This analysis shows that whilst many roads are considered safe to cycle, many cycle trips to schools involve busier roads where people needed to be more confident and skilled to cycle on.


The Chair requested to see a full report of this at the next forum meeting in September 2019.


Members of the forum NOTED this verbal report.



Lime E-Bikes

To be presented by Ben Kennedy (Transport Strategy Manager)



The Transport Strategy Manager informed members of the forum of the recent success of the lime E-Bike scheme using a slide presentation.


The Council had heard positive feedback of the supplier form other local authorities and areas in Europe and wanted to make sure Lime had provided their bikes before Summer 2019.


In response to questions members of the forum heard that bike suppliers could operate with or without the Council’s approval and that information about bike locations and charges could be found using the Lime E-Bike app. Bikes could also be ridden outside the borough and would be returned to the base unit by Lime. In regards to price it was said that the Lime E-Bikes were expensive but a reduced charge was being negotiated so they could be more affordable for residents.


Members of the forum were informed that any issues regarding abandoned bicycles and cluttered shelter belts would be dealt with within in two hours upon being notified by residents.


Members of the forum NOTED this verbal report.


Liveable Neighbourhoods Bid

To be presented by Ben Kennedy (Transport Strategy Manager)


The Transport Strategy Manager informed members of the forum that a walkabout of the LN area was being organized so members of the forum could see what changes are proposed and provide feedback / ideas.  Wednesday 26th June 2019 was proposed and details would be confirmed outside of the meeting. 


Local Implementation Plan 3 (LIP3) Update

To be presented by Ian Plowright (Head of Transport)


The Head of Transport informed members of the forum that the statutory process for the LIP3 had been completed which outlines the steps to deliver the objectives of the Mayor’s Transport Strategy.


Members of the forum were informed of a number of projects.  This included £20,000 for a freight reduction strategy, £35,000 for construction vehicle monitoring and enforcement, and proposals for a demand led bus service. In addition approximately £500,000 / year is being allocated for improving cycle infrastructure (further money is being provided from the council’s growth zone and from section 106 funding).


In relation to cycling training, training is being held in schools and outside of for the general public.  The benefit working with schools as part of engaging with the local community has been considerable and the LIP has been designed to further this approach.


In response to questions members heard that the healthy schools and Liveable Neighbourhood schemes would receive funding from outside of the LIP fund.  


Councillor Simon Brew left the meeting at 7.07pm.



Cycling Instructor Training

To be presented by Gerardo Guercio (Cycling Instructor)


Gerardo Guercio informed members of the form that following the renewal of Cycling Instructor’s Training Contract, the cycling group now needed more instructors to lead and teach residents. Members were encouraged to volunteer or recommend someone who would be interested in taking a role.


Update on Cycling Groups


Wheels for Wellbeing – It was said that because of the school exam season, there would be no cycling sessions on Tuesday or Friday at Croydon Arena until July 2019. Sessions for the next Tuesdays would be held in Herne Hill However Saturdays were unaffected and would continue to be held in Croydon Arena.


Any Other Business


Members of the forum heard that the 5th Croydon Annual Interfaith Ride was taking place on Sunday 9th June 2019 at 10am. The ride was planned to start from Croydon Arena and end at Park Hill Park with a free picnic. The invitation to attend was opened to members.


Members were also informed about the Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) passenger benefit fund. The GTR had set aside £15 million for stakeholders who were affected by the delays following changes made to the timetable in May 2018.


In regards to the bridge strengthening work being done on the Addiscombe Railway Park, the Programme Manager for Walking and Cycling stated that feasibility work had been undertaken to examine the potential for a shallower gradient for the ramp up from the Railway Park onto Blackhorse Lane.  Officers would be able to provide further information to the forum on this study at a later Cycle Forum meeting.



Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 24th September  2019



Tuesday 24 September 2019.


Exclusion of the Press and Public

The following motion is to be moved and seconded where it is proposed to exclude the press and public from the remainder of a meeting:


“That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information falling within those paragraphs indicated in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended.”



This was not required.