Agenda and draft minutes

Licensing Sub-Committee - Thursday, 15th July, 2021 10.30 am

Venue: This meeting will be held remotely. View directions

Contact: Tariq Aniemeka-Bailey  Email: tariq.aniemeka-bailey@croydon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

22/21

Appointment of Chair

To appoint a Chair for the duration of the meeting.

Minutes:

Councillor Pat Clouder nominated Councillor Robert Canning as Chair and Councillor Margaret Bird seconded the motion.

 

The Sub-Committee RESOLVED to appoint Councillor Robert Canning as Chair for the duration of the meeting of the Sub-Committee.

 

23/21

Disclosure of Interests

In accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct and the statutory provisions of the Localism Act, Members and co-opted Members of the Council are reminded that it is a requirement to register disclosable pecuniary interests (DPIs) and gifts and hospitality to the value of which exceeds £50 or multiple gifts and/or instances of hospitality with a cumulative value of £50 or more when received from a single donor within a rolling twelve month period. In addition, Members and co-opted Members are reminded that unless their disclosable pecuniary interest is registered on the register of interests or is the subject of a pending notification to the Monitoring Officer, they are required to disclose those disclosable pecuniary interests at the meeting. This should be done by completing the Disclosure of Interest form and handing it to the Democratic Services representative at the start of the meeting. The Chair will then invite Members to make their disclosure orally at the commencement of Agenda item 3. Completed disclosure forms will be provided to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion on the Register of Members’ Interests.

 

Minutes:

There were none.

 

24/21

Urgent Business (if any)

To receive notice of any business not on the agenda which in the opinion of the Chair, by reason of special circumstances, be considered as a matter of urgency.

 

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

 

25/21

LICENSING ACT 2003 - Temporary Event Notice subject to Police & Pollution Team (EH) Objection Notices pdf icon PDF 229 KB

The purpose of this report is to advise the Sub-Committee that a temporary event notice has been given to the licensing authority under the Licensing Act 2003 (“the Act”). This temporary event notice is the subject of objection notices from the Police and the Council’s Pollution Team, therefore a hearing is required.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The recording of this meeting can be viewed by clicking here.

 

The Licensing Sub-Committee considered the Objection Notices in respect of a Temporary Event Notice given by Mr Owen Baker for Thornton Heath Recreation Ground. The Sub-Committee, have made their decision with reference to the licensing objectives under the Licensing Act 2003, the Statutory s182 Guidance and the Council Licensing Policy.

 

The Sub-Committee also considered the verbal representations made at the virtual hearing by Mr Baker and the Objectors.

 

Reasons for the Sub-Committee’s decision

 

The Sub-Committee took into account the following reasons when making their decision:

 

  1. The information provided in the Temporary Event Notice did not correspond in full with the information in the flyer for the event, or with what Mr Baker told the Sub-Committee during the hearing in relation to licensable activities.

 

  1. The Metropolitan Police and the council’s Pollution Team (Environmental Health) had both submitted an ‘objection notice’. These objection notices were not withdrawn in advance of, or during, the Sub-Committee hearing.

 

  1. Mr Baker told the Sub-Committee that both the Police and the Pollution Team had not contacted him about their objection notices in advance of the Sub-Committee hearing. During the hearing it emerged that Mr Baker had spoken to both parties. The Sub-Committee is satisfied that both parties made reasonable, successful and timely efforts to contact Mr Baker to discuss with him their grounds for objecting ahead of the hearing.

 

  1. No Event Management and Operating Plan, or any other written document setting out how the event would be managed, has been prepared. Based on the evidence presented to the Sub-Committee, the Sub-Committee was of the view that inadequate thought and planning has been given to meeting the four licensing objectives in relation to:

 

a)    Noise management (the premises is surrounded by residential dwellings and the council has received complaints about noise from events at this recreation ground in the past). Whilst Mr Baker told the Sub-Committee that he would monitor noise levels, not play amplified music and would stop the music at 7:30 to 8pm, the Sub-Committee was of the view that inadequate arrangements have been put in place for managing noise and that the absence of tangible and written proposals for managing and mitigating noise would undermine the Prevention of Public Nuisance licensing objective.

 

b)    Entry policy, security and stewarding (including arrangements for ensuring that alcohol, weapons and drugs are not brought on to the premises). Whilst Mr Baker told the Committee during the hearing that he would provide security and 14 stewards, the Sub-Committee was not convinced based on the evidence presented that this and wider security planning will meet the licensing conditions relating to Public Safety and the Prevention of Crime and Disorder. The Sub-Committee felt that more detail was needed. 

 

c)    The provision of medical support/first aid (Mr Baker told the Sub-Committee that this would be provided by a local nurse and local people although the map of the event area submitted as part of the Temporary Event Notice does not  ...  view the full minutes text for item 25/21

26/21

Exclusion of the Press and Public

The following motion is to be moved and seconded where it is proposed to exclude the press and public from the remainder of a meeting:

 

“That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information falling within those paragraphs indicated in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended.”

 

Minutes:

This item was not required.